About Me

My photo
Woodbridge, VA, United States
Politically Opinionated, Christian, Writer, Mom of 2 adult children, 3 dogs and a cat who sometimes thinks she's one of the dogs.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What Illegal Immigrants and Unruly Children Have In Common

My friends and relatives who have or have had small children know this about me: I have a house rule. I don't tolerate bad behavior from unruly children, especially not in my own home. I didn't tolerate it from my own children when they were living under my roof, and I certainly will not tolerate it from any other little visitors who come to my house, whether a friend of my child's, a young cousin or the child of a friend. The house rule is: If you don't make your child behave in my house, I will. And I really don't much care if you're sitting right there next to me or not. If you fail to act, most assuredly I will deal with the situation. The caveat to that is, if you don't like it, leave your children home until they learn to behave better, or don't come to my house at all if they must come with you.

Now, having said that, I was one of those mothers bucking for the title of "Meanest Mother In The World." Just ask my now grown children. They will also tell you that I will not hesitate to deal with any errant grandchildren should the need arise. But having seen both of them as babysitters, I expect that I will not have to be the "Meanest Grandmother In The World" because my children will both be in the running for the "Meanest Parent" awards in their respective categories. Their tolerance for unruly children is about the same as mine.

As the Meanest Mother, I did not take my children out to dinner in public until they had acquired some manners. They knew that I expected them to be on their best behavior at other people's houses, and if they got out of line, I corrected them on the spot, and burdened my hosts with neither having to do my job for me nor enduring any wild hellions that belonged to me while wondering when we would finally leave them in peace.

I'll bet you're wondering what this has do to with illegal immigrants. I'm so glad you asked.

Arizona is the host of a rather large group of unruly children in the form of illegal immigrants. The parent who needs to be slapped in this situation is the Federal Government. They may have laws governing illegal immigrants and their disposition, but they are loath to enforce their own laws. These illegal and unruly children are running amuck and out of control, and finally the weary host has had to say to the indulgent parent, "Enough is enough! Since you are unwilling to deal with your unruly children and make them behave," or in this case make them reap the consequences of being in this country and in the state of Arizona - Arizona's house - illegally, "I will." As can be expected, Father Obama and Mother Congress are crying foul. And what horrible people the good folks from Arizona are who do not want to endure the illegal behavior of the unruly children for one minute longer.

Well, I for one say it's about time. This is not about race, it is about coming in the front door like my immigrant grandparents did, and not sneaking in the back door like thieves. For make no mistake, those who are in this country illegally are thieves. They are stealing form the American taxpayers and their figurative parents are helping them do it. Those who would play the race card with regard to this issue are doing the exact thing they accuse those of us who are fed up with the illegal immigrants. They are the ones stirring up hate for political gain.

I find illegal immigrants just as distasteful as unruly children. I find well behaved children a delight to be around just as I find legal immigrants to be the bedrock upon which this nation was built, and some of the greatest contributors to our society and our country. Those who come in the back door are hyphenated Americans. Those who come in the front door fully embrace America and all she stands for, and they assimilate. They are a delight to have as friends and neighbors.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved your's and Karl's "teaching children" stories. I remember sitting at your dining room table, pregnant with Kyle then, and taking in all your advice. I hope we are living up to those standards! I also, won't tolerate my kids misbehaving in public and don't care who's listening or watching as I "take care of business". Your analogy to illegal immigrants is perfect. Rules are rules, for everyone. Just follow them and all will be happy.

    ReplyDelete